SALT LAKE CITY, UT – The Local Market and Bar announced today the eight new culinary concepts set to open this Winter and delight those who live, work, play and visit downtown Salt Lake City. Located inside The Exchange, The Local Market and Bar is an all-day dining venue focused on community and operated by Hospitality HQ (HHQ) and developed by The Domain Companies and Giv Development. The varied offerings allow for convenient and delicious meal pick-up and delivery while the stunning design makes The Local an exciting downtown hangout. In addition to dining, The Local will curate a wide variety of events including trivia nights, wine tastings, lectures, live music, rotating art exhibitions, and more.
The culinary concepts are curated by Chef & Co-Chief Executive Officer at Hospitality HQ, Akhtar Nawab, and will provide exposure for both new and established chefs. The confirmed concepts for opening are The Cereal Killerz Kitchen, Green Chile House, Luna Pizza Cafe, Lamb & Feta, Hog & Tradition BBQ, Crave, Pop’s Burger and Good Bar. glad we finally figured it out.”
“We’re excited to work alongside Hospitality HQ to offer innovative chef-driven food and beverage to residents and members at The Shop Workspace, Mya, and Avia communities as well as to the greater Downtown Salt Lake area,” says Matt Schwartz, CEO of
The Domain Companies. “The Local is highly anticipated by those who work and live downtown, designed to be an all-day destination and local hangout.”
“We are bringing a fresh array of dining offerings and culinary innovators to downtown Salt Lake City,” says Akhtar Nawab. “We hope our kitchens serve as a springboard for local culinary artists looking to take their businesses to the next level while also providing a fun, relaxed and creative place for people to dine together in the Beehive State.”
The culinary concepts slated to open at The Local are:
- Luna Pizza Cafe bakes all their artisanal pizzas in a brick oven and has been awarded ‘Best Pizza’ or ‘Best Overall Restaurant’ for four years in a row in Greenville, North Carolina.
- Lamb & Feta is an offshoot of Taylorsville Utah’s most popular Greek restaurant, The Local Greek, and it brings authentic, fresh ingredients that showcase a wide range of Mediterranean flavors.
- Hog & Tradition BBQ hails from Utah pit master Geoff Patmides’ commitment to Southern BBQ. The award-winning chef has perfected the BBQ sandwich along with a myriad of other barbeque dishes.
- Pop’s Burger is an elevated homage to the classic Americana burger joint serving up simply delicious smash burgers, hot dogs, fries and old fashioned ice box cakes that feature quality, locally sourced ingredients.
- Crave is Utah-born and the owners pride themselves on high-quality comfort foods and healthy to-go sandwiches and salads with impressive brunch offerings daily.
- The Cereal Killerz Kitchen, featured on ABC’s hit reality business show Shark Tank, encourages diners to draw inspiration from the hundreds of cereal options to create unique ice cream, milkshake, or iced coffee creations.
- Green Chile House features southwestern cuisine from Chef Francisco “Poncho” Portillo’s home state of New Mexico with authentic offerings like tacos, nachos and tortas.
- Good Bar is a full-service bar and local hangout with thoughtfully crafted cocktails, extensive local craft beer and spirit selections, and a diverse wine list. Good Bar will also feature a series of low- and non-alcoholic cocktails.
Events and Community Partnerships:
The Local will be a hub for good food while also serving as a community gathering space for unique cultural events, artist showcases, lectures, trivia nights and much more. Through an extensive network of regional and global curators, The Local will showcase the work of distinct artists across all disciplines, award-winning distilleries and both emerging and established musicians. A schedule of events will be shared on thelocalsaltlakecity.com.
The Local is proudly partnering with Spice Kitchen Incubator and is committed to donating $1,000 plus 15% of opening day sales to support underserved food entrepreneurs. Spice Kitchen Incubator is a project of the International Rescue Committee (IRC) and was founded in partnership with Salt Lake County. A business incubator that brings together refugees and other disadvantaged community members interested in starting food businesses, Spice Kitchen Incubator strives to help entrepreneurs preserve their culinary traditions and share their talents with the Salt Lake County community. By providing technical assistance and training, access to affordable commercial kitchen space, and more, Spice Kitchen Incubator helps the underserved develop successful food businesses.
For interviews, professional photography and preview tours of the venue, please contact Katie Eldridge at email@example.com or (435) 640-2554.
About The Local
The Local Market + Bar is a 7,500 square foot culinary collective and bar set to open in Winter 2023 in downtown Salt Lake City. The Local is an innovative kitchen incubator that will also feature artisan concepts from across the globe curated by award winning chef Akhtar Nawab. The Local is a destination focused around community, providing a stage for chef-driven concepts to showcase a curated experience enriched by diverse food and culture. The Local Market & Bar is nestled within The Exchange, a $110 million mixed-use development that hosts a diverse mix of residential and retail offerings. Featuring residences Avia and Mya, both at full occupancy within months of opening, The Shop Workspace, Rebel House Fitness, and more, The Exchange attracts thousands of individuals daily. The project is a joint venture between The Domain Companies and Salt Lake City-based developer, Giv Development.
About Hospitality HQ (HHQ)
Hospitality HQ (HHQ) is a creative consulting and management group offering bespoke solutions for culinary-driven concepts across the United States. Led by award-winning chef, restaurateur, TV personality and cookbook author Akhtar Nawab, HHQ’s dynamic and comprehensive team prioritizes high quality service at all levels, producing systems for food and beverage concepts which consistently optimize guest experience. HHQ is the fastest-growing food hall management company in the country, with critically acclaimed restaurant and communal dining projects in more than 15 states.
About Chef Akhtar Nawab
Akhtar Nawab is chef and owner of Alta Calidad in New York, Otra Vez in New Orleans, Bar Chinoise in Washington, DC and founding partner and CO-CEO of Hospitality HQ (HHQ). Nawab’s ‘less-is-more’ style of cooking has earned him critical praise throughout the years, beginning with his experience in the kitchen at acclaimed restaurants like Gramercy Tavern, Craftbar and Craft, the latter of which received three stars from The New York Times and won the James Beard Foundation’s “Best New Restaurant” Award during his tenure. Nawab received StarChef’s “Rising Star Chef” award while serving as executive chef of East Village gastropub The E.U., before striking out on his own as chef/partner in Elettaria in 2008. Shortly thereafter, he found himself gravitating towards Mexican cuisine and took the helm at popular NYC hotspot La Esquina. In 2017, Nawab opened his innovative Mexican restaurant Alta Calidad in Prospect Heights, Brooklyn, which earned a Michelin Bib Gourmand rating in 2018 and 2019 and continues to thrive as a neighborhood mainstay.